A STEPS Counselor has many duties working with girls from diverse backgrounds. First and foremost, a STEPS Counselor must be highly interested in working with middle school girls (7th grade) and high school-age junior staff (junior counselors and lab assistants). You will serve as a leader and mentor to these girls.
Being a STEPS Counselor is a strenuous job that requires a mature individual with patience, high energy, flexibility and compassion. STEPS Counselors live on-campus, in the dorms, with the campers for each of the 5-day camp sessions. This job is incredibly rewarding for the individual who wants to inspire the lives of many girls. Expertise in science and technology is not required (nor is majoring in science or technology), but a desire to encourage, empower and inspire young girls is a must!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a welcoming, positive camp atmosphere for all campers.
- Mentor and guide 10 campers and one junior counselor (10th-grade assistant) throughout each of the 5-day sessions.
- Ensuring the safety of campers and junior counselors, including first aid and administration of medication.
- Maintaining the camper schedule – ensuring campers and junior counselors get to meals, classes and activities.
- Facilitating predesigned camp activities.
- Managing and running of nightly activities.
- Being available for campers and junior counselors throughout the day, helping manage potential homesickness, conflict resolution and behavior.
- Being patient, flexible and willing to have fun while working with the camp’s diverse population.
- Active engagement and participation in the BOLD STEPS Program**
- Self-motivated and enjoy working with middle school and high school girls.
- First Aid/CPR/AED and Epi-pen certification*
- Counselors must have completed 12th grade and be 18 years of age or older.
- This is an all-girls overnight camp, so only female applicants will be considered.
- Past STEPS for Girls Participant preferred, but not required.
- Wonderful experience working in a leadership role with the opportunity to be a positive role-model for middle and high school age girls.
- Participation in BOLD STEPS Program (Building Opportunities through Leadership Development) **
- Free room and board during camp sessions and required Saturday stays (1st and 3rd week).
- Stipend $1800
* Counselors are expected to be CPR/First Aid certified by one of the following organizations and received American Red Cross: Epinephrine training. Certificates must be provided to STEPS program office prior to official hire.
The American Heart Association: HeartSaver First Aid/CPR/AED
The American Red Cross: Adult First Aid/CPR/AED
**Counselors are expected to participate in the BOLD STEPS program throughout camp. This is a great opportunity to further develop and enhance your leadership skills. As part of the program, counselors will be expected to arrive on Saturday morning, prior to the first and third camp session. Completing pre-program assignments (e.g. readings) will be expected.
Counselors must be available for ALL FOUR WEEKS OF STEPS:
Transportation is not provided to/from campus. Parking permits are available free of charge. Room and Board is not provided between camp sessions. Counselors must leave campus on Thursday evenings.