Knowledge and Connections that Last a Lifetime
Earn your professional development certificate at UW-Stout and accelerate your career without committing to the time and money of a full degree. Our certificate programs will give you added knowledge and necessary skills, help you meet state licensing requirements, or fulfill state or national education requirements.
More than 30 Professional Development Certificates
You’ll enjoy a community of learners that will engage and challenge you while building networking connections with professors, fellow students, and partnering professionals. Several of our programs are offered online, allowing you to work at your own pace. You may earn your certificate in six to nine months and many graduate certificate courses can later be applied to your Master’s degree.
Professional Certificates to Enhance Your Career
Whether you're seeking a promotion in your current field or pursuing an emerging arena, UW-Stout's professional certificate programs offer the knowledge, skills, and experience to distinguish your career.
Certificates can be earned as a stand-alone program or in addition to your undergraduate [U] or graduate [G] degree. Undergraduate students are ineligible for graduate-level certificate programs.
Note: Certificates with an * are only available to on-campus students.
Art, Design & Graphics
Business & Management
- Applied Ethics [U] *
- Event and Meeting Management Certificate [U]
- Human Resource Management [U, G]
- Occupational Safety and Risk Control [U, G]
- Organizational Development and Consulting [G]
- Project Management - Organizational Performance [U]
- Six Sigma Black Belt [G]
- Six Sigma Green Belt [U]
- Strategic Leadership in Talent Development [G]
- Sustainability and Well-being [G]
- Career and Technical Education Leadership [G]
- Practical Skills for Beginning K-12 Career and Technical Educators [U, G]
- Instructional Design [G]
Human & Social Sciences
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Specialist [U, G]
- Gerontology [U, G] *
- Senior Living and Services Leadership [G]
- Sex Therapy [G]
- Social Work (On Campus) [U]
- Social Work (Online) [U]
- Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies [U] *
Information Technology & Communications
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Exam Preparation [U]
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Exam Preparation [U, G]
- Communicating with Emerging Media [G]
- Communication Studies and Rhetoric [G]
- Cybersecurity and Cyber Defense: Computer Networking Professional Development [U, G] *
- Cybersecurity and Cyber Defense: Secure Software Development [U] *
- Enterprise Technology [U, G]
- Improving the User Experience [G]
- Professional Writing [U]*
- SAP ERP and Business Analytics [U, G]
Science, Engineering & Math
- Math Specialist [G]
- Plastics Technology [G]
- Surface Water Science [U]
Certifications and Specializations are available as a stand-alone program or in addition to your undergraduate [U] or graduate [G] degree. Undergraduate students are ineligible for graduate-level certificate programs. Certificates with an * are only available to on-campus students.
Meet your career goals and enhance your literacy leadership skills through our reading certifications. If you are teaching full-time, enrolling in one course per term is the recommendation of the reading faculty.
Post-Baccalaureate Educator Certifications
UW-Stout offers post-baccalaureate non-degree, add-on certifications for individuals with a previous education degree who are eligible for or hold at least one Pk-12 educator license. This does not include permits, substitute license, experienced-based licenses or Tier I license in the state of Wisconsin.
view all Educator Certifications
A specialization is a program of study with carefully constructed learning experiences, defined outcomes, and specified evaluation procedures.
A certificate is an excellent professional development tool to increase your knowledge in your career, help meet state licensing requirements, fulfill state or national education requirements, or learn new skills to give you a foot in the door toward a new career.
With your certificate from UW-Stout, you'll benefit from added job security as certificates are the fastest-growing form of post-secondary credentials (Chronicle of Higher Education). You'll also benefit from an increased earning potential with 13-25% boost in annual salary (Forbes) and $117,000 in lifetime earnings (University of Milwaukee post).
According to the Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce, "certificates have swelled to become the second most common postsecondary award in the United States."