Undergraduate and Graduate
If you a student from outside the U.S. and interested in enrolling in one of UW-Stout's undergraduate or graduate majors, please submit the following:
1. Online Application
UW System Application
We recommend using our online application. You can begin the application any time and save your progress to come back to it later.
Undergraduate students can also use the Common App, an easy and fast way to apply.
There is currently no application fee for undergraduate applicants, however, a $50 undergraduate admissions processing fee is required to issue the initial I-20. Undergraduate applicants will receive a direct link to pay the Admissions Processing Fee after submission of the application.
The $56 graduate application payment includes the application fee. If applying online, students can submit payment by credit card at the end of the application process.
3. Evidence of English Proficiency
The English proficiency requirement may be waived for applicants from English-speaking countries. This will be determined by the Admissions Office after you have applied.
- Official TOEFL score:
- Minimum iBT (or MyBest) score of 70, or minimum paper-based score of 525.
- Official IELTS score:
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- Duolingo English Test:
- Successful completion of UW-Stout's English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
- Successful completion of an English language program affiliated with UW-Stout.
- Graduate from a high school in the United States.
- You have earned at least 15 transferable university-level credits from an accredited English medium-sized institution.
- You have earned a grade of C or better in a course equivalent to UW-Stout's English 101: Composition 1.
- Official TOEFL score
- Minimum paper-based of 550, or a minimum iBT score of 79
- Applicants with TOEFL scores of 75 to 78 (iBT) or 533 to 549 (paper-based) will be required to take at least one graduate level writing and research course through UW-Stout's ESL program. Students with scores less than 75 will not be reviewed for admission.
- Official IELTS score
- Official Duolingo English Test score
- Minimum score of 120
- Applicants can be provided conditional admission after an additional assessment is conducted by UW-Stout’s ESLI and program director approval.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- Complete a Bachelor's or Master's degree within the last five years from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or abroad in which English is the official medium of instruction.
- Complete UW-Stout's English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
Note: Individual programs may have higher score requirements.
4. Declaration of Finances
All applicants must demonstrate that they have enough funds to afford all expenses for at least their first year of study. Students will be required to submit a Financial Verification Form in addition to official documentation from their bank.
Please submit a formal written statement or an official bank statement certifying that either you or your sponsor has sufficient funds (that is, no less than the US dollar amount required for undergraduate expenses) on deposit to insure full payment of expenses for your first year at UW-Stout.
Please submit an official bank statement certifying that you or your sponsor has sufficient funds on deposit (in US dollars) to ensure full payment of expenses for your first year of graduate study. Refer to Estimate of Expenses to see current amount required.
5. Official/Attested Academic Records
Please submit your academic records from all secondary and higher education institutions you've attended.
- Send your official/attested academic records translated into English.
- Include course descriptions for all courses you've completed at higher education institutions.
Please submit your academic records from all higher education institutions you've attended. You must provide official/attested academic records translated into English as well as the original document.
A credential evaluation is required:
- Applicants who have already received a credential evaluation by a NACES approved member should request the evaluation be sent directly to UW-Stout from the evaluator. Official/attested transcripts are not required for these applicants.
- UW-Stout will perform an evaluation internally for applicants who have not had a credential evaluation completed. These applicants should request their official/attested transcripts be sent to UW-Stout directly from the institution(s). Academic records/official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended are required. Secondary transcripts are not needed. Original official/attested records not in English must also include English translations. Transcripts should be sent directly from the institution to UW-Stout using our address below or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To maintain authenticity, we cannot accept transcripts from students, agents, or other intermediaries. In addition, our internal evaluations are for our use only and will not be provided to students.
6. Specific Program Requirements
For certain degree programs, there are additional applications and materials required. Check the program-specific admission requirements for your program on this page: Program-Specific Admission Requirements