Multiple citations will be issued to vehicles that are parked for longer than:
- one hour in short-term unloading areas
- two hours in a regular metered or pay-by-plate space
- two hours in a permit lot.
Also, multiple citations may be issued
- to vehicles that are parked in violation over two enforcement periods, for example a permit violation and an overnight violation
- for longer term violations that impair the efficient operation of service areas
- based on a safety hazard, barrier of access to facilities, or the obstruction of free flow or traffic created by an illegally parked vehicle.
Citation Late Fees
Parking Citations are due in five days from the date of issue. Full payment of the citation fine must be received in the Parking Office on the fifth day after issue. Consequently, if you mail the citation make sure there is adequate time for the Post Office to deliver your payment by the due date.
After a citation becomes overdue a $5 escalation fee will be added.
Overdue, unpaid citations will receive a series of three delinquent citation letters. Each letter informs the registered owner of the unpaid fine amount, the current amount due and establishes a due date in two weeks. There is a $5 late fee connected to each letter if the citation isn't fully paid by the due date.
When a citation isn't fully paid after the series of three letters additional administrative late fees of $10 are assessed for either Wisconsin state motor vehicle suspension or university records, class registration suspension.