Welcome to the Military Science Department
In addition to being part of the Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) Northwoods Battalion, the Military Science department is part of the School of Management in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Management. You will find general information regarding the ROTC Northwoods Battalion here.
If you have additional questions or would like more information, please contact a member of the Military Science Department. Better yet, come on over to our office: Communication Technologies Building, Room 141.
We can sit and talk in person.
If you are considering a career in the Army or just want to gain some practical leadership skills and experience, here is what you should know about our program.
- Small classes help you grow as an individual and gain camaraderie with your fellow students.
- Our courses are taught by ROTC faculty and staff; proven leaders and military professionals.
- ROTC faculty will guide and coach you, working with junior and senior cadets who serve as mentors to students beginning the program.
- There is no military obligation to take our 100- and 200-level courses.
- If you continue our program into the 300- and 400-levels of courses, there is a military obligation. This obligation varies based on many factors.
- If you complete our program and receive your diploma, you earn the privilege of wearing the gold bar of a second lieutenant.
- Regardless of what path you choose, you will be able to speak well in public, take charge when necessary, get things done through others, and be counted on to watch over the safety and well-being of those under your leadership.